Mechanical Design Engineer 12 month fixed contract
£35,000 - £42,000 pa + Benefits - Free car parking
ccompany located in Harlow. As the Mechanical Design Engineer, you will perform a key leading role in developing new products from requirements capture and concept, through production readiness and into production, to meet business needs. Your accountabilities will be to develop robust product designs in accordance with the business New Product Introduction (NPI) process. You will ensure that they are subject to multi-disciplined review, culminating in a fully configured and released design model and set of manufacturing drawings, suitable for development and then production manufacture.
You will assist Project Engineers in developing design specifications, through development of concepts to test design options viability, and actively contribute to the review process to ensure optimum design selection.
The position requires knowledge of design development as it supports the NPI process, from concept, through maturation of the design, to release of detail manufacturing, assembly drawings and Bill of Materials (BOM).
You will be capable of design development in the 3D environment, and fully aware of the need, and be capable of maintaining model to drawing associativity. You will apply these practices to the highest standards of maintaining configuration and design model integrity, and not allow them to be compromised due to project pressures.
In consultation with other team members and the use of design reviews you will be responsible for specifying material selection and assembly methodologies.
In developing the design scheme, you will also be responsible for generating the Design Scheme BOM and following appropriate phase exit review loading the BOM to the business ERP system as a development or production release.
In developing an assembly solution, you will be responsible for undertaking tolerance analysis to ensure satisfactory assembly in production. Depending on complexity this may require statistical methods to ensure appropriate manufacturing tolerances are maintained.
You will be fully familiar with BS 8888 and preparing detail drawings in accordance with this standard and you will be able to apply GD&T methodologies correctly, recognising and trading likely methods of manufacture, cost and technical suitability.
You will support the Product Development Manager in all aspects of the above and dependent on experience, assist in Continuous Improvement activities, to advance the efficiency and capability of the Technical function as a whole, through team-working and introduction of process improvements and tools.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Develop design solutions from concept to full manufacturing definition in accordance with business processes, in particular ensuring appropriate reviews are undertaken.
- Develop solutions in the 3D environment and deliver production drawings in the 2D environment utilising drawing practice to BS8888 and best practice GD&T.
- Where necessary provide hands on support to development, fabrication & qualification of prototypes for design verification, including support bench testing.
- Maintain the Product Design History File (DHF).
- Participation in design and process FMEAs (Failure Mode Effects Analysis).
- Maintenance of design configuration and sound application of configuration management rules, in relation to the Change Management process.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Degree or equivalent in a Mechanical Design Engineering discipline.
- Significant experience in Mechanical product design, including assemblies of medium complexity.
- Experience in plastic injection moulding design desirable but not essential, similar component types (e.g. castings) and sheet metalwork would also be relevant.
- Knowledge and experience in taking designs from concept right through transition into manufacture.
- Experience of working in a regulated industry (e.g. Automotive, defence, medical, aerospace plus others).
- Strong analytical /problem solving skills, data rational; plus, some experience of Lean and Six Sigma would be beneficial.
- Strong communication and presentation skills (written & verbal).
- Competent in the use of MS Office suite.
- Moderate to high end CAD systems experience, Solid Works ideal, but not essential.
- A self-starter, with good leadership skills and the drive, motivation and discipline to succeed and deliver in a regulated industry.
- Effective networker, capable of working with internal and external stakeholders
Working Hours: Monday to Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. however flexibility needed to work effectively with the global teams
Location: Harlow, Essex CM20 M11 / M25 / A10 Road network
Sorry that we cannot contact all of you personally, but thanks in advance for your interest.
Please bear in mind that you may not hear from us straight away. Due to the high level of applications we receive every day, we can only respond to applicants whose skills and qualifications are suitable for this position.