Job Type: Temporary
Salary: £12.50 increasing to £16.63 after 12 weeks
Hours: 37 hours per week, Monday - Friday
We are seeking a highly organised and proactive Rent Officer to work in the Housing & Planning/Tenant & Leaseholder department in the local council. The successful candidate will be responsible to ensure income is maximised through the effective collection of rent, service charges and other income owed by tenants and leaseholders, working supportively and proactively with the aim of sustaining tenancies.
This role is working remotely with one day in the office. An enhanced DBS check is required. Working hours are flexible.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Deliver the income management service in accordance with relevant policy, procedures, and statutory requirements, ensuring prompt and appropriate action is taken to recover debts.
- To be responsible for the collection of rental and service charge income and other housing related debts.
- To provide an excellent customer focused service for tenants and leaseholders, ensuring they are aware of their responsibility to pay rent on time and regularly.
-To keep up to date on welfare benefits entitlements, giving basic debt and welfare benefit advice to enable receipt of full benefit entitlement, making referrals to the Benefits Advisors and other agencies when appropriate.
Keep up to date with best practice on arrears prevention, putting forward ideas and suggestions for service improvements.
-To liaise with external agencies, attending meetings as required
-To arrange for the production and distribution of rent statements to tenants and advise tenants on these accordingly.
-To provide advice and assistance to all tenants who have rent arrears by visiting them on a regular basis, ensuring vulnerable tenants have access to the relevant support.
-To liaise with the relevant Benefits department regarding the processing and progress of individual housing benefit claims. Chasing the progress of benefit applications and over-payment where appropriate Benefit Calculations.
-To prepare all paperwork for the service of notices, possession proceedings and evictions and to serve notices of seeking possession, ensuring effective joint working and liaison with the Council's legal and Housing Options teams Legal Changes
-To attend court, representing the council in rent related cases and to attend evictions.
- Complete eviction reports for the Income Managers approval.
- Actively chase former tenant arrears, including taking action in small claims court or using trace and debt collection agencies as necessary
- Identify improvements to the services we provide to customers or the way the team works and make suggestions to improve efficiency.
-To ensure the database is updated with details of individual rent arrears actions, keep full and detailed records of all actions taken and all contact with customers.
- To provide a weekly report on rent arrears to the Income Manager.
- To work in partnership with relevant teams and ensure that housing officers are adequately quipped to assist in rent collection and arrears recovery. Joint working on decisions to extend or end Introductory Tenancies
- Embrace a culture of customer satisfaction, continuous improvement, and value for money, adopting high standards of conduct and communication.
- To investigate and respond to complaints and comments about service delivery.
- Comply with all Health and Safety requirements and standards.
- Participate in the Council's major emergency arrangements, fulfilling key roles within the Major Emergency Plan as required.
- Undertake other duties commensurate with the grade of the post as required.
* Relevant experience of housing, debt, and tenancy law.
* Sound understanding of social housing issues.
* Sound knowledge of best practice in management of income recovery, debt counselling & debt collection
* Knowledge of welfare rights & benefits
* Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal communication.
* Excellent written communication skills & ability to write accurate & clear correspondence & reports.
* Excellent numeracy skills
* Good time management skills, ability to prioritise, work to deadlines & meet targets.
* Able to form and maintain good working relationships at all levels internally & externally.
* Ability to resolve, anticipate & prevent problems.
* Able to take responsibility & work independently & flexibly.
* Effective negotiating skills
* Ability to deal with tenants sensitively & with care.
* Excellent IT skills
- Experience in working with customers to achieve positive service outcomes.
- Experience of delivering effective & collaborative working relationships with customer and partner groups
- Experienced in the use of databases, spreadsheets, and word processing.
If you are a highly organised and detail-oriented professional, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity. Join the team and contribute to the smooth operations of our department
Simply start typing below and when you're done, click the 'Save' button at the bottom of this page.