- Speed - defensive driving is more than simply complying with legal maximum limits.
- Speed should always be adjusted to prevailing conditions.Keep your distance - vehicles should have at least a two second gap between them. **Remember: “Only a fool breaks the two second rule” **
- Weather conditions - adjust your driving to the prevailing weather conditions.
- Routeing - if possible, avoid towns & villages. Keep to the major roads where practical
- Cyclists - cyclists are vulnerable in all traffic. Remember that a bicycle or motorbike should be same room as a small car when being overtaken. Check your mirrors and pay special attention to this when turning at roundabouts.
- Parking - know the rules on loading, unloading, waiting and parking restrictions.
- Compliance with lorry amenity controls - do not be caught out! Observe weight restrictions and access restrictions.
Defensive driving will help you develop confidence that accidents are preventable. This will improve both your performance and peace of mind.